Sunday, October 12, 2008

Are Sports Games Relevant?

The first time I played Madden, I didn't like it. To be honest, I still don't. My initial outlook on the game was, and I'm quoting my 12-year-old self; "Why can't we just go outside and do this?"

It's a question that really challenges the credibility of us as gamers. I'm not saying that it can't be fun at times, but isn't the real thing better? Of course, this is in direct contrast to shooters and fighters, but I still think that we can get more out of actually being physically active.

If you really like football, baseball, basketball, soccer, or hockey, why not devote your time to the sport? The definition of the word 'Sports' is "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively." How, then, do we have a video game genre of "Sports"?

Believe me, it's much more fun to go out and play and play a sport than to just technically 'play' it. If you have a favorite team, watch them on TV. If they're not on, do something else. It's not worth it.

Digg!

No comments: